PodCTL - Enterprise Kubernetes
All the Tools in the Kubernetes Toolbox
September 04, 2017
Brian Gracely & Tyler Britten
Show Description: Brian and Tyler discuss the broad range of tools that are available to deploy, operate and manage Kubernetes environments. There are lots of options...
Segment 1 - [News of the Week]
- VMware, Google and Pivotal announced a packaged version of the Kubo project, called Pivotal Container Service (PKS).
- CNCF continues to be the center of Enterprise IT with VMware, Pivotal joining
Segment 2 - Why do Open Source Projects often end up with so many installers?
Segment 3 - What are some of the common types of tools for kubernetes installations?
- Install on your laptop (e.g. Minikube, Minishift, etc.)
- Public Services (OpenShift Online, GKE, Azure Container Service, etc)
- Quickstart installer on a public cloud (e.g. Heptio, DO, kops, etc.)
- Kubernetes-specific installers (kubeadm, kubicorn, kargo, etc.)
- Deployment scripts and variations on “runbooks” (e.g. Ansible, Chef, Puppet, etc.)
Segment 4 - What are some of the Day 2 tools that are used with Kubernetes?
- Upgrade tools (e.g. 1-click, Operators, etc.)
- Monitoring & Management (e.g. Prometheus, Datadog, New Relic, Zabbix, SysDig, CoScale) - https://blog.openshift.com/monitoring-openshift-three-tools/
- Logging (e.g. EFK, Loggly, etc.)
- Application Frameworks - Save that for future shows!