Unclogging some Kubernetes Plumbing Issues
October 09, 2017
Brian Gracely & Tyler Britten
Show Overview: Brian and Tyler talk about Kubernetes Networking and Kubernetes Storage.
Topic 1 - Let’s talk about the challenges of networking with containers and some of the ways that Kubernetes addresses these challenges.
- There’s lots of different ways to network containers together. Kubernetes does some basic networking (by default), and then there are add-on options for more complex, secure scenarios.
- The role of DNS in Kubernetes networking (services, etc.)
- Kubernetes network plugins (CNI: container network interface)
- Ingress and Egress Routes, Services, Load Balancing
- Network Policy (fine-grained traffic control)
Topic 2 - Let’s talk about the challenges of storage with containers and some of the ways that Kubernetes addresses these challenges.
- There’s definitely a misperception that containers should only be used for stateless applications.
- Containers are (primarily) Linux, and Linux has well known concepts about how to interact with persistent storage.
- Containers need a way to interact with persistent storage in a model where it can be dynamically allocated.
- Kubernetes storage plugin proposal (CSI: container storage interface)